White Wall Tyres

Sources of parts, and other hints to get your restration projects on the road.
Bruce & Ingrid Lambie

White Wall Tyres

Postby Bruce & Ingrid Lambie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:18 pm

A simple question, how do we keep our white wall tyres looking nice and white? Is there a paint or other product that we can safely use.
Bruce & Ingrid

Bob Ballantyne
Site Admin

White Walls

Postby Bob Ballantyne » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi, I have cleaned the white walls on my 1935 auburn with Jif on a 3M scouring pad, also found Mr Muscle orange energy all purpose cleaner good. It gets the grime and discolouration out of the white rubber. Veteran and vintage cars who run an add on the back outside page of Beaded Wheels, has an american white wall cleaner. Works very well however my bright red wheels changed colour to a dull lighter shade of red. I think this product contains bleach to whiten the rubber. You mention about a brush on product many years ago in the 1960's there was a product out which sure made the tyres white however cracked with the flexing of the tyres and just looked terrible after a short time. The white wall is an overlay of white rubber so good scrub with a scouring pad and soapy water will do the job. I have used fine (320grade) wet and dry sand paper with soapy water to sand out bad marks and damage from hitting the gutters. All of this has worked for me, regards Bob.

Hudsonguru

Whitewalls

Postby Hudsonguru » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:08 pm

I agree, the best cleaner for whitewalls is Jif, applied with either a cloth or pad,and then follow up with armour-all to give a lustre to the sidewalls and protect form staining.

nobes

Postby nobes » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:52 pm

EW Pdgeon under the ACE brand used to sell white wall cleaner

Return to “Hints and Tips”