Seat belts

Sources of parts, and other hints to get your restration projects on the road.
Kiwisteam

Seat belts

Postby Kiwisteam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi, can anybody offer advice on fitting belts to a vehicle that does not have original mounts for them? I would prefer to have belts but there is conflicting advice from suppliers as to whether universal belts are any good, whether I should use retractable or fixed adjustment belts etc etc. Help please!

Bob Ballantyne
Site Admin

Re: Seat belts

Postby Bob Ballantyne » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi what make and model car? and where do you live ? we have a seat belt fitting company on the North Shore Auckland, Fitting seat belts to a car that did not have them fitted originally from new require the fitting to be certified. This company gave a person a quote for fitting new rear belts to a 1953 Dodge the quote was $1,500. Before all this certification process we have now, you could fit seat belts for your own safety and no one was involved with any certification that we have now. Should you require any help please contact Bob 09 444 4066 or deb.rob@xtra.co.nz

Kiwisteam

Postby Kiwisteam » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks Bob, this is exactly the problem I am running in to - I would prefer to have belts and as a trade certified mechanic I fitted many sets back in the 60's and 70's however the process and method now needs to be certified. The person who is selling me the car asked a certifier (in Auckland) to look at it and was told that before any recommendations could be made all seats and upholstery plus carpets must be removed from the car so that the strength of the metal could be assessed. A decision would then be made as to whether the car body was strong enough to take belts and whether the framing was in the right position. The quote for this part of the exercise was in to the thousands without the cost of the belts. Now I am no expert but I would think that the metal of a '39 Chev (provided it is not corroded) is at least as heavy as a modern car and I also feel that having belts mounted to the Chev pillars and floor is preferable to no belts at all. I will canvas other members thoughts and experiences at the next branch function we go to and also perhaps through Beaded Wheels. I suspect I will find that there are some variations in the application of rules in different parts of the country and hopefully there will be someone in the Bay of Plenty area who is a little more realistic about our vehicles. Cheers, Ian.

Bob Ballantyne
Site Admin

Postby Bob Ballantyne » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi Ian please make contact with your local Vintage car club they might have certifier in the club or have a contact who could work along side you regards safely, fitting points, and be prepared to certify the work This might be of some help regards Bob

Kiwisteam

Postby Kiwisteam » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks, I will do that at the branch function this Sunday. Regards, Ian.

Bob Ballantyne
Site Admin

Postby Bob Ballantyne » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi Ian just at thought as seat belts are not required in cars pre 1956 or part of a WOF I would suggest contacting The Government department to confirm the law and requirements , re fitting of seat belts to a pre 1965 car at least you would confirm what is the law This might help Regards Bob

Return to “Hints and Tips”